The Florida State University

FAQ: Health Center Information

  1. Who may be seen at the health center?
  2. Enrolled FSU students; post doctoral fellows and visiting scholars; orientation students and participants in special programs or campers. FSU faculty and staff may access the travel clinic and the nutrition clinic.

  3. Who is considered a patient?
  4. Definitions regarding patients of The Health and Wellness Center:

    1. Enrolled Student - Students currently enrolled who have been assessed the health fee as part of the tuition and fees charged to students are eligible to use the Health Center. A portion of the health fee comes to the Health Center and enables the Health Center to offer many services free or at rates significantly lower than the student would encounter at an off campus facility.
    2. Non-enrolled Student - A one semester window is available for former students to access care at the Health Center. Since these students are no longer assessed the health fee, charges will be on a fee for service basis. This window closes at the close of business the day prior to the subsequent semester beginning. Once the new semester begins, if not reenrolling, the former student will need to find another health care provider.
    3. Domestic Student - US citizens, resident aliens, international students on visas other than J-1 and F-1, and undocumented aliens. Procedures for enrolled and non-enrolled students apply.
    4. International Student - Any student in the United States on a J-1 or F-1 visa are, by state and university regulations, required to show proof of health insurance that meets the federal and Board of Governor’s guidelines for students with a J-1 visa. Procedures for enrolled and non-enrolled students apply. Dependents of students on a J-1 or F-1 visa must also be insured.
    5. Exchange Student - Exchange students are required by state and university regulations to show proof of health insurance. Procedures for enrolled students apply.
    6. Post-Doctoral Fellows and Visiting Scholars -Non-student foreign nationals in a valid non-immigrant status or domestic non-students, who are actively engaged in an academic activity or employment at Florida State University and who are otherwise ineligible for the employer group health plan, are eligible to purchase the University sponsored health insurance. Students enrolled at the Center for Intensive English Studies may also purchase the University sponsored health insurance.. Go to the Insurance for Post-doctoral Fellows, Visiting Scholars and CIES students tab on the home page of the student insurance web site: to print the application and application instructions.

    Other Groups:

    1. Campers, Campus Visitors, Special Programs - Individuals participating in residential or day camps on the FSU campus, campus visitors and participants in special programs are eligible to be seen at the Health and Wellness Center for minor injuries and illnesses. Campers and/or visitors under the age of 18 must have a signed consent for treatment from a parent or legal guardian. Campers and campus visitors are seen on a fee-for-service basis. Insurance can be filed for these patients. Special Program participants who have the student health insurance will be seen on a fee-for-service basis with the charges billed to the insurance carrier.
    2. Faculty/Staff - FSU faculty and staff are eligible to access the travel clinic at the Health and Wellness Center on a fee-for-service basis. For any other care, treatment must be limited to first aid and stabilizing the patient for transport to the appropriate healthcare facility.
    3. Dual Enrolled Students - Students enrolled in programs at FSU and another institution are eligible to be seen at the Health and Wellness Center like any other enrolled FSU student. Dual enrolled FAMU students must use the health clinic at FAMU.
    4. Student Interns - These students are typically from other universities and may be seen on a fee-for-service basis. Insurance can be filed for these patients.
    5. University Counseling Center Doctoral Interns - UCC Doctoral interns may access services at the Health and Wellness Center. UCC doctoral interns may purchase the university sponsored visiting scholar health insurance.
    6. They are seen on a fee-for service basis. Insurance can be filed for these patients.
  5. FSU Survival Kit
  6. Before your student leaves home,

    1. Pack your first aid kit. A simple shoebox with the following supplies can be very comforting the first time your student needs first aid or basic self care:
      1. The antiseptic you use for cuts, scratches and insect bites.
      2. The pain reliever you use for headaches and muscle discomfort.
      3. The medicine you use for upset stomach, diarrhea or nausea.
      4. The medicine you use for a cough and throat lozenges for a sore throat.
      5. The medicine you use for allergies and colds.
      6. A simple thermometer. Show them how to use it.
      7. Band aids.
      8. A can of chicken soup.
      9. Your advice to rest and drink plenty of non-alcoholic liquids.
    2. Make your student aware of how important it is to carry a photo ID, insurance and prescription card with them at all times. You NEVER know when these items will be needed.
    3. Practice making an appointment for medical care. Make sure they know how to describe their symptoms.
    4. Practice ordering and picking up a prescription.
    5. Let your student know that they can consult a pharmacist for advice on over-the-counter medications as well as prescription meds.

    Once your student is at Florida State, if self care has not relieved your student’s symptoms or the symptoms worsen, your student may need to seek medical care.

  7. Where is the health center and when is it open?
  8. The Health and Wellness Center is southwest of Oglesby Union, north of the Student Life bulding and the Dunlap Success Center, and west of Parking Garage #2. The street address is 960 Learning Way. Clinic hours of operation are 8 AM - 4 PM, Monday - Friday. The Health Center is not open on Saturday or Sunday.

  9. What about parking?
    1. Students with appointments at the Health and Wellness Center may park in the gated lot just north of the Health Center during their appointments only.
    2. Complete the parking form provided by the attendant. Drivers with handicapped parking passes are not required to complete the parking form.
    3. The space just outside the south side doors of the building is for emergency and delivery vehicle access only.
  10. How do I get an appointment?
    1. Call the Central Appointment Unit (CAU) at 850-644-4567. The CAU will try to schedule your appointment within 48 hours of your call. Arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. No show charges are assessed for missed appointments and late arrivals may be asked to re-schedule in addition to a no-show fee.
    2. Walk-In patients must schedule an appointment at one of the Central Appointment Unit stations located on the first, fourth or fifth floors.
    3. Walk-ins meeting the following criteria for priority care will be seen immediately.
      1. excessive bleeding,
      2. vomiting to the point where you cannot keep liquids down,
      3. difficulty breathing,
      4. chest pain,
      5. temperature of 101 degrees or more,
      6. extremely swollen throat or
      7. a possible fracture.
    4. Bring your FSU ID and your health insurance information with you to every appointment in the Health Center.
    5. Physical Therapy Clinic appointments are scheduled separately. Call 850-644-0570.
  11. What services does the health center offer?
  12. Services available include general medical care, women's health services, allergy clinic, nutrition assessments, physical therapy, psychiatry, immunizations, laboratory, health promotion outreach services, HIV and sexually transmitted infection testing, and radiology. We provide basic outpatient family practice-type services. We also provide urgent care services (minor suturing, splinting, intravenous therapy) for acute injuries and illnesses that cannot wait for an appointment. There are other specialists who work in the specialty clinic on a rotating basis throughout the month.

  13. Can the Allergy Clinic store serum for students?
  14. Yes we can store the serum and give the injections based on outside physician's orders. We do not perform any allergy testing in the health center, but there are allergists in Tallahassee.

  15. Do you keep a copy of our insurance card on file?
  16. The student should always carry a copy of the insurance card. We do scan your insurance card on your first visit to the Health Center. It is the student's responsibility to present a new insurance card to be scanned if your insurance changes.

  17. What types of clinicians do you have?
  18. We have Family Practice, Pediatric, Internal Medicine, GYN, and Psychiatric physicians who enjoy working specifically with the college population. In addition, many of our clinicians, including the ARNPs and PAs, are board-certified.

  19. Do you have specialists on staff?
  20. We do not have specialists on staff. We do, however, refer students to specialists in the community or to the emergency room as necessary. We make every effort to insure that students are referred to specialists who accept the student's insurance.

  21. If my student is under 18, do I need to give permission for treatment?
  22. Yes, you must give permission. The following statement is on the immunization compliance forms:

REQUIRED AUTHORIZATION FOR CARE OF STUDENTS UNDER AGE 18: I authorize, at the discretion of University Health Services personnel, medical and surgical care including examinations, treatments, immunizations, and the like for my son or daughter. In the event of serious disease or injury or the need for major surgery, I understand that all reasonable effort will be made to contact me but that failure to make contact will not prevent emergency treatment if necessary to help preserve life or health.

Parent Signature____________________Date __________

Parent/Guardian signature is ONLY required for students under the age of 18 years.

  1. How does a parent/legal guardian obtain consent to receive information on their student?
  2. There is no blanket release that is good for all visits.

    1. For a student who is under 18years of age, records and treatment may be discussed with parents/legal guardians for all matters except for sexual health.
    2. For a student who is over 18 years of age, a signed consent to share information is required. University Health Services personnel understand parent concern about students. We are legally bound to respect students’ rights to confidentiality regarding their protected health information.
    3. A signed consent to share information is incident/condition specific. If necessary, we will contact the student to ask his/her permission and ask him/her to sign a release. The release is valid until the student withdraws the permission in writing.
  3. What if a student has a medical emergency?
  4. If a student has a serious medical emergency, the parents/guardians will be notified.

  5. If I am sick or injured, so that I need help getting to the Wellness Center, can UHS personnel transport me? If not, what am I to do?
    1. UHS staff members are not permitted to transport students to or from the Wellness Center.
    2. If you live on campus, contact FSU Police, 644-1234. The FSU Police Department will transport the student or they will contact the FSU Medical Response Unit and request transport . OR
    3. See if another student or friend can bring you to the Wellness Center OR
    4. If you are so sick or injured that an ambulance is required, call 911 for an ambulance to take you to one of the two local hospital emergency rooms.
  6. Can the Health and Wellness Center issue me a handicapped-parking permit?
    1. Clinical staff (MD’s, PA’s, and ARNP’s) can issue FSU temporary handicapped parking permits. Permits will be issued at the clinician’s discretion for up to three weeks. One additional three-week renewal may be issued by the clinician (an appointment with the issuing clinician is required).
    2. A student with a disability note for six weeks or less from his/her home/private clinician may go directly to Parking Services to obtain the permit. Parking Service is located at the FSU University Center,Building C, Room 5406. Parking Services’ telephone number is (850)644-5278, and their fax number is (850) 644-0008.
    3. A student with a disability lasting longer than six weeks must obtain a handicapped parking permit from the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles.

FAQ: Emergency/After Hours

  1. What happens in the case of an emergency? After hours?
    1. In the case of a life-threatening emergency, students are directed to call 911 or to go to the nearest hospital emergency room. The emergency room is the most expensive venue for health care. If the student can wait until the Health Center is open, we will see them for treatment through one of our clinics.
    2. After hours students are directed to local walk-in clinics for urgent but non-emergency care. They are less expensive and the waiting time is generally shorter than emergency room services. For more information,see After Hours Care.
    3. For students living in residence halls, resident advisors (RAs) are trained to handle after-hours emergencies. If it is after hours and the RA feels it is serious, an ambulance may be called. The FSU Police Department, 644-1234, is also available for emergencies.

  2. Is either local hospital a Level 1 Trauma Center?
    1. No.
    2. Tallahassee Memorial Hospital is a Level 2 Trauma Center. They do not have a Burn Unit.
    3. Capital Regional Medical Center is also available for emergency services.
    4. The closest Level 1 Trauma Center is Shands Hospital at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
  3. How are students transported to the Emergency Room?
    1. FSU does not have designated transportation available for medical purposes only.
    2. Students living in a residence hall should contact their Resident Advisor (RA) for assistance. Resident Assistants (RAs) are trained to assist students with finding assistance or calling for an ambulance if necessary.
    3. At the Health Center students referred to the Emergency Room may go byambulance, have a friend drive them, or go in a taxi at the Health Center's expense.
  4. What about when The Health and Wellness Center is closed?
    1. All students may access care at the emergency room at either Tallahassee Memorial Hospital or Capital Regional Medical Center when The Health and Wellness Center is closed.
      1. The $350 ER co-pay for students with the University sponsored health insurance is waived if the student is admitted to the hospital.
      2. The deductible for students with the University sponsored health insurance will be applied to any ER visit as well as the 20% co-insurance after the deductible is met.
    2. For urgent but non-emergent care students may access the TMH urgent care center across the street from the TMH ER.
    3. After-hours care for students with the University-sponsored health insurance is Patients First or the TMH Urgent Care Center. You may be seen at any of these providers for a co-pay of $50. Telephone numbers and clinic locations can be found in the yellow pages of the telephone directory as well as on the After Hours Care brochure posted on the wellness center web site. Click on the Hours topic in the menu on the right side of the health center home page. The After Hours Care brochure is also available display boxes throughout the Health and Wellness Center.

FAQ: Payment For Services

  1. What is the health fee and what does it pay for?
  2. The health fee is federally mandated, is assessed at a set rate per credit hour and guarantees every enrolled student paying the health fee access to care at the Health and Wellness Center. At FSU the health fee also funds the FSU Counseling Center. The portion of the health fee allotted to University Health Services allows the Health Center to offer a variety of no cost and reduced cost services to students. The health fee is not health insurance. It is not the fee voted on by Student Government to defray the cost of the new Wellness Center.

  3. What will I be required to pay?
    1. Charges for physical examinations, annual gynecological examinations, medical procedures, laboratory tests, radiology, medical supplies, immunizations, injections, nutrition, and psychiatric clinics can be billed to your insurance. How much you pay depends on the benefits of your particular insurance plan. Always check with your insurance company prior to your visit to verify your benefits.
    2. There is a no show fee for missed appointments. No show charges are also assessed for appointments not cancelled at least 30 minutes before the scheduled appointment time in the medical clinics. Specialty clinic appointments must be cancelled by 4:00 pm the day prior to the scheduled appointment and carry higher no show fees.
  4. What about the lab?
    1. The in-house lab is Quest. Quest accepts over 100 different insurance plans for their services. They are the lab for the student health insurance.
    2. United HealthCare, CHP and Coventry direct their insureds to use LabCorps.
      1. We have a pick-up service for LabCorps for some lab procedures.
      2. For other procedures, there are several LabCorps locations in Tallahassee.
  5. Will my insurance cover costs at the Health Center? That depends on your policy.
    1. The Health Center is in network for:
      1. Florida Blue (formerly Blue Cross Blue Shield)
      2. Network Blue/Blue Options, Blue Choice/PPO and Traditional

      3. Aetna
      4. PPO, Managed Choice, POS and EPO

      5. United HealthCare (Out-of- Network for Mental Health/Psychiatry)
      6. Choice Plus, PPO and POS Plans

      7. Humana (Out-of- Network for Mental Health/Psychiatry)
      8. PPO and POS Plans

      9. Cigna (Out-of- Network for Mental Health/Psychiatry)
      10. PPO and Open Access Plus (OAP) Plans

      Please be aware that being in network does not guarantee that all services will be covered. You may still be subject to the co-pay, deductible and coinsurance provisions of your plan.

    2. All other insurance plans are considered out of network.
      1. While Medicaid and Medicare can be used to register for classes at FSU, these plans cannot be used to pay for services at the Wellness Center.
        1. Medicaid and Medicare students can access care at the Wellness Center.
        2. The care must either be paid for at the time services are rendered or the charges can be deferred to the student account at Student Financial Services.
        3. The student can then file a claim for reimbursement with their Medicaid/Medicare provider.
      2. All other insurance will be filed as out-of-network.
        1. When payment is received from the insurance company, any unpaid balance will be posted to the student's account at Student Financial Services.
        2. The posted unpaid balance on the account at Student Financial Services will create an accounts receivable hold on the student's account.
    3. The Health Center does not bill for Medicaid or Medicare. Charges incurred at the Health and Wellness Center may be deferred to your student account and you must file the claim for your own reimbursement.
  6. How can I pay for services?
    1. The Health and Wellness Center accepts cash, check, AMEX, Discover, Visa, MasterCard, medical account debit card (typically associated with a Health Savings Account), the FSU card and health insurance as payment for services.
    2. Students may also defer charges to their FSU account with Student Financial Services.
    3. Please be aware that the medical account debit card may not be used to pay for charges once they are deferred to Student Financial Services.
    4. Fees from the Health Center posted on student financial accounts must be paid at Student Financial Services in the University Center, not here at the Health Center.
  7. What if the student can't pay for the service?
    1. If a student requires a procedure and cannot pay the same day that service is rendered, the student can defer payment. This will place the balance owed on the student's account through Student Financial Services and payment can be made at the Student Financial Services office located at Suite UCA1500 at University Center.
    2. Exceptional cases may be considered for indigent care support on a case-by-case.
  8. What does an appointment cost?
    1. It depends on the services provided and your insurance coverage. The Health and Wellness Center, conveniently located on campus, provides a variety of quality services at discounted prices. There is no need to pay for services at the time of your visit. Bring your insurance card with you at the time of your appointment and we will file your insurance claim for you. Any unpaid balances may be placed on your student account for future payment.
    2. Please note: Patients who are late will be rescheduled and charged a no-show fee and those who miss a scheduled appointment will be charged a no-show fee. The fees vary according to clinic and appointment type.
      1. The in-house lab is Quest. Quest accepts over 100 different insurance plans for their services.
      2. United HealthCare, CHP and Coventry direct their insureds to use LabCorps. There are several LabCorps Labs in Tallahassee.

FAQ: Insurance Requirement

  1. Who must show proof of health insurance?
  2. All domestic students taking a full course load, all international students and international post doctoral fellows and visiting scholars on a J-1 or F-1 visa are required to show proof of health insurance comparable to the health insurance plan offered for FSU students. Dependents with J-2 visas are also required to be insured, per federal regulations. The Board of Governors’ rules require dependents with F-2 visas to be insured.

  3. Who is not required to show proof of health insurance?
    1. Students studying abroad with the FSU International Programs Department.
    2. Students studying at the Panama City FSU campus and the Republic of Panama FSU campus.
    3. Distance learning students.
    4. Students studying in other designated special programs at FSU such as transient students, dual-enrolled students and co-op students.
    5. Domestic students taking less than the full course load
      1. The insurance waiver system presumes every main campus non-exempt student will be a full time student.
      2. Students taking fewer than 12 undergraduate credit hours or fewer than 9 graduate credit hours in the fall and spring terms and fewer than 6 hours in the summer may contact the Health Compliance Office for a credit hour underload to clear the insurance requirement.
      3. A credit hour underload must be reaffirmed every term.
  4. What happens if I don’t show proof of health insurance?
  5. Registration is blocked for those students required to show proof of health insurance.

  6. Where do I find information about the waiver process?
    1. Go to
    2. Look at the tab: Private Insurance Requirements. There are questions for domestic students and questions for international students. If your insurance policy provides the required coverage, then your plan is comparable and completing the waiver is your next step.
      1. Make sure your plan covers the term and any holiday breaks as outlined on the home page of the insurance site.
      2. Do not bring your insurance policy or insurance card to the Health Compliance Office. We cannot tell what your plan provides by looking at a card. If you have questions about whether your policy provides the required coverage, contact your insurance carrier.
    3. To complete the waiver process using your private health insurance,
      1. Click on the flashing red and black link at the top of the home page.
      2. Log in using your FSUID and password. There are prompts on the page to assist with activating your FSUID.
      3. Select My Policies.
        1. Fill in the form.
        2. Click the blue link to I Have Health Insurance.
        3. Select the term and year for which you are completing the waiver.
        4. Click the Submit button.
        5. Click on My Compliance Record to verify that your waiver is complete.
    4. The waiver must be renewed once a year. If you complete the waiver and the system does not clear you to register, call the Health Compliance Office at 850-644-3608 for assistance.
    5. DO NOT PURCHASE THE STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE TO CLEAR A PRIVATE INSURANCE WAIVER. Your life will be much less complicated if you check your stop screen during business hours for help with clearing the waiver. Buying insurance in the middle of the night so you can register for classes can be an expensive way to be able to register for classes.
  7. What if I have health insurance under my spouse's or parent's employee medical plan?
    1. For domestic students, if the plan provides the required coverage, you can complete the waiver.
    2. For international students,
    3. If the plan provides all the required coverage except for the Evacuation and Repatriation coverage, that coverage can be directly from the student insurance provider United HealthCare Student Resources. Go to . The application is on the web site. International students must be covered for evacuation to their home country if an illness or injury requires return to their home country for treatment and for repatriation of the student's remains to their home country should the student die. If you wish to purchase the required coverage from another carrier, that is permitted. Proof must be provided to the Health Compliance Office before the waiver will be cleared.
    4. If the employee's medical plan does provide evacuation and repatriation coverage as required by federal, state, Board of Governors and FSU regulations, yes, it is sufficient.
  8. Why is having health insurance important?
  9. Health insurance provides protection for the unexpected illnesses and injuries that can interrupt your education and takes care of the expenses for routine health care. Part of our mission at the health center is to insure that students at Florida State have the opportunity to optimize their entire university educational experience through good health. Students without health insurance often neglect their health or defer their health care because of the expense. No student should have to decide between continuing his or her education or paying a medical bill.

FAQ: Immunization Requirements

  1. What immunizations are required for students?

    Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must provide proof of two combined MMR (measles{rubeola}, mumps, rubella) immunizations. Single shots are not acceptable unless they were administered on the same date. The first MMR must have been given on or after January 1, 1968 and on or after the first birthday .The second MMR immunization must have been given 28 days or more after the first MMR. Positive IgG titers for measles (Rubeola), German measles (rubella) and mumps antibodies may be submitted in lieu of proof of two MMR immunizations. The lab results showing the positive titers must be provided to the Health Compliance Office before the student will be able to register for classes. Students must also show proof of the meningococcal meningitis and Hepatitis B vaccines. If the student does not have the meningococcal meningitis vaccine s/he may decline it in writing on the Healthcare Compliance form If the student does not have the Hepatitis B vaccine, s/he may decline it in writing on the Healthcare Compliance form.

  2. Is the meningitis vaccine recommended, safe, and available at the Health Center?

    The meningitis vaccine is recommended by the health center for those students who will be living in residence halls or living in close quarters (Greek housing, apartment complexes, etc.). It is safe to receive and we do have the vaccine at the health center.

  3. Can you complete my student’s Hepatitis B series?

    Yes, we offer Hepatitis B and can complete their three shot series or begin the series.

  4. Is the Gardisil vaccine available at the Health Center?


  5. I cannot find my immunization records or the doctor who had my records is no longer in practice. What do I do now?

  6. You have several options.

    1. Your county health department may have your immunization records on file. If you are from a state that maintains a state immunization database, you can check that. If you were required to have immunizations to attend high school, the immunization record is often maintained on your high school transcript. Remember that any document providing proof of immunization dates must be signed by either the medical provider or the authorized records custodian to be acceptable. Their office address, phone and fax numbers must also be on the document.
    2. You can have a blood test called an IgG titer to provide proof of positive immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. Three tests are usually run on one blood draw. All three tests must show a positive immunity to the disease. An equivocal or negative test result for any of the tests will require you to receive the MMR to be able to register for classes at FSU. The lab slips with the numerical test results must be submitted to the Health Compliance Office. You can have the titers run at the FSU Health and Wellness Center if you wish. Call 850-644-3608 to make an appointment.
    3. You can get the MMR series again. The series serves as a booster and will not hurt you. Having the first of the two shots in the series will give you a temporary clearance so that you will be able to register for classes. You may receive the MMR from the provider of your choice. The vaccine is available at the FSU Health and Wellness Center. Call 850-644-3608 to make an appointment.
    4. Remember that you may decline to receive the meningococcal meningitis and Hepatitis B vaccines. That must be done in writing on the healthcare compliance documents, Form 2. Having the protection these two vaccines provide is strongly recommended, especially for students in group living situations.
  7. I have a medical reason for not getting the MMR. What do I do?

  8. Attach a letter from your medical provider to your healthcare compliance documents explaining why you have not had and/or cannot have the MMR. Make certain the letter includes whether the exemption is permanent or temporary. If the exemption is temporary (such as your course of medication will end or your baby will be born) have the letter include an end date for the exemption. Understand that breastfeeding is not a contraindication to receiving the MMR. Understand further that if there is an immunization-preventable disease outbreak at FSU, any student with an exemption for immunizations will be excluded from classes and any other activities on campus until two weeks after the last case has been diagnosed.

University Health Services, Florida State University
Tallahassee,FL 32306-4178
(850) 644-6230 / TDD (850) 644-2383
Privacy,   HIPAA Privacy Policy, Copyright
2014 All rights reserved.