Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Immunization Requirements

Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must provide proof of two combined MMR (measles{rubeola}, mumps, rubella) immunizations. Single shots are not acceptable unless they were administered on the same date. The first MMR must have been given on or after January 1, 1968 and on or after the first birthday .The second MMR immunization must have been given 28 days or more after the first MMR. Positive IgG titers for measles (Rubeola), German measles (rubella) and mumps antibodies may be submitted in lieu of proof of two MMR immunizations. The lab results showing the positive titers must be provided to the Health Compliance Office before the student will be able to register for classes. Students must also show proof of the meningococcal meningitis and Hepatitis B vaccines. If the student does not have the meningococcal meningitis vaccine s/he may decline it in writing on the Healthcare Compliance form If the student does not have the Hepatitis B vaccine, s/he may decline it in writing on the Healthcare Compliance form.

The meningitis vaccine is recommended by the health center for those students who will be living in residence halls or living in close quarters (Greek housing, apartment complexes, etc.). It is safe to receive and we do have the vaccine at the health center.

Yes, we offer Hepatitis B and can complete their three shot series or begin the series.

You have several options.

  1. Your county health department may have your immunization records on file. If you are from a state that maintains a state immunization database, you can check that. If you were required to have immunizations to attend high school, the immunization record is often maintained on your high school transcript. Remember that any document providing proof of immunization dates must be signed by either the medical provider or the authorized records custodian to be acceptable. Their office address, phone and fax numbers must also be on the document.
  2. You can have a blood test called an IgG titer to provide proof of positive immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. Three tests are usually run on one blood draw. All three tests must show a positive immunity to the disease. An equivocal or negative test result for any of the tests will require you to receive the MMR to be able to register for classes at FSU. The lab slips with the numerical test results must be submitted to the Health Compliance Office. You can have the titers run at the FSU Health and Wellness Center if you wish. Call 850-644-3608 to make an appointment.
  3. You can get the MMR series again. The series serves as a booster and will not hurt you. Having the first of the two shots in the series will give you a temporary clearance so that you will be able to register for classes. You may receive the MMR from the provider of your choice. The vaccine is available at the FSU Health and Wellness Center. Call 850-644-3608 to make an appointment.
  4. Remember that you may decline to receive the meningococcal meningitis and Hepatitis B vaccines. That must be done in writing on the healthcare compliance documents, Form 2. Having the protection these two vaccines provide is strongly recommended, especially for students in group living situations.

Attach a letter from your medical provider to your healthcare compliance documents explaining why you have not had and/or cannot have the MMR. Make certain the letter includes whether the exemption is permanent or temporary. If the exemption is temporary (such as your course of medication will end or your baby will be born) have the letter include an end date for the exemption. Understand that breastfeeding is not a contraindication to receiving the MMR. Understand further that if there is an immunization-preventable disease outbreak at FSU, any student with an exemption for immunizations will be excluded from classes and any other activities on campus until two weeks after the last case has been diagnosed.